Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Bloody tired

Back in November I had routine labs done and was found to be slightly anemic with a 10.1 (normal is 11.1).

I had been giving blood regularly last year so my doctor just said to hold off on any more donations and she scheduled re-do of my labs in January.

So January labs were taken and while the anemia was slightly better at a 10.9, she did a full iron panel which showed my ferritin at an 11 (normal is 15) and iron saturation at 7 (normal is 15.5).

Doc asked if I'd been feeling tired or having low energy and I said no.  She recommends I start taking Ferrous Sulfate 325mg.

I get the OTC supplement and start taking it most days, but forget it every now and then.  Anyway, here I am realizing that I'm sleeping more than 8 hours almost every night and I feel exhausted every evening.  I normally would blame this feeling on being overweight and lazy, but now I'm really thinking it's the anemia.

I realize I'm not severely anemic and I also realize that I'm the Super Queen of excuses, but when it's 7 p.m. and I'm fighting to stay awake, I think it might be something other than inherent laziness.

I've been reading a lot online about anemia and it often takes several months to resolve even with supplements.  While I am loath to give up any excuse to not exercise, I really don't want to have this feeling of constant fatigue anymore.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you know the probable reason for your fatigue. I know that feeling well. (((Hugs))). It can be frustrating.

    Hopefully they will figure out my issues soon. If it's not what I think, maybe the doctors will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good your doctor noticed that and started you with the supplements. Hopefully they will help you out.

    ReplyDelete