Saturday, November 4, 2017

26.2

The Rock N Roll marathon was in town today and I woke up before 5 a.m. to volunteer.  I'm not gonna lie, it was kind of fun to be out on the deserted highway in the dark.  It felt completely safe because cops were everywhere blocking roads and we had a large group of volunteers.


That picture of the moon was taken from the guardrail of a highway that's usually really busy.  But it was so serene early this morning.


We set up 8 tables on each side of the highway and stacked cups 3 layers high.  



We were out there 2.5 hours before the first runners came by.  I didn't get any pictures of runners because we were so busy handing out water, cheering them on, and cleaning up the empty cups on the ground.


I'm trying to post a picture of the Course Map, but I can't post a PDF?  WTF?

Anyway, my water station was between mile 12 and 13 on the front half.  Then the runners doubled back and I was around the 24 mile marker on the second half

I have never seen so many bloody nipples in my life.  YIKES.  One man was not just bleeding through his shirt, but it was streaming down.  Like two red eyes crying on his gray shirt.  I'm sure he cried later.

Three different men scared me when they were near the end.  One started to act disoriented and didn't run in a straight line, but he refused help.  The second one that scared me was trying to take a drink and he was shaking so hard that he couldn't get the cup to his mouth.  The third man that stressed me out grabbed his chest right by his heart as he passed by, but he barely slowed down.

None of them appeared particularly old and the second two appeared to be very physically fit.  I'm hoping everybody is ok. 

So this was all very motivating for me to attempt running again.  I'm very impressed with everybody who got out there and did it!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think that would make me want to run. But I definitely would volunteer for the water table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed at Sarah's comment :)

    It would seem like serious runners would be aware of, and would use, products that reduce chafing. I'm not even a hard-core runner, and I have one of those things that look like a deodorant stick but is a lubricant to keep skin, like under my arms where a t-shirt can rub, from chafing.

    ReplyDelete