Wednesday, January 24, 2018

I want it all or nothing at all

A million years ago I kept an online journal and every title was a line from a Bruce Springsteen song.  hahahhaa.  Gosh, my Bruce Springsteen phase was long and loud.

Anyway, I thought the line about wanting it all or nothing at all was most appropriate since my last post was about how precise I had been with my diet and exercise.  All it took was one Sunday filled with garlic bread and chips and dip to send me crashing down the diet mountain.  I've been in the throes of eating anything that isn't nailed down for the last couple of days.

I'm desperately trying to re-focus. It's such a struggle to teach myself to eat a "normal" amount or to exercise an "appropriate" amount.  I put those in quotes because what's normal and appropriate is different for each person.  I'm currently eating and exercising the normal and appropriate amount for a 230 pound woman.  UGH!!!!!

6 comments:

  1. It seems like we are all struggling to get this year going. Hopefully we will all find our groove soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same mentality, "All or nothing" and it kills me. "well if I'm going to eat some chips, I may as well eat the whole bag! And since I screwed up today, I'm just going to eat the entire kitchen while I'm at it!" haha. It makes no sense!!! I wish I had some helpful advice, but all I can say is that I totally understand the struggle. Hope you find your way back up the diet mountain again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have come to the conclusion that it can’t be all or nothing otherwise I will automatically chose the nothing! It’s my nature (I didn’t get to my current weight by being all in for a healthy lifestyle!!!). It’s a balancing act....and it’s not easy! But I am confident that you (and I) can find the right balance so that we will say ‘garlic bread today...dry lettuce tonorrow (ok maybe not dry lettuce but you know what I mean!). It is a choice...we balance our budget (well hopefully we all do)...if we want the super duper expensive something or other we cut back our spending somewhere else to make up the difference. We do it with money so we know how to do it.....we just need to apply the budget mentality to our food!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the budget mentality. I'm a whiz at saving money and doing the bills.

      I do that with my calories. I have 1200 calories to spend each day. And I have to choose wisely what I "purchase" with those calories. Unfortunately, and probably unhealthy, I end up only eating about 800-900 calories a day. I can't get it in my head that it's ok to use all my calories. They don't carry over or go into a savings account like the money does LOL.

      Delete
    2. I'm definitely a better money budgeter than calorie budgeter. Money budgeting is out of necessity though. If only I could make myself believe calorie budgeting is necessary too!

      Delete
  4. I am very much the same way. It's self-destructive, and I know it, but damn, it's hard to shake that all or nothing thinking. By the way, I love Bruce Springsteen!

    ReplyDelete