Sunday, July 1, 2018

In every life we have some trouble...

But when you worry, you make it double.


While on vacation in another state two weeks ago, I got a call from a coworker saying that our company is being bought out. So I spent the rest of my vacation stressing out about the future of my job, and naturally I let myself be soothed by pancakes, ice cream and pizza.  While elbow deep in kettle corn, I remember saying "I just need to stress eat."  I totally knew what I was doing, but made no effort to stop the behavior.

I stepped on the scale after returning from vacation and nearly wept.  But I refuse to record that weight because I'm a coward.

The official office takeover happens on September 1st so I have two months to brush up my resume.  I intend to stay if the new company will have me, but I don't want to get too cocky.  Even though my job performance has been praised by the current company, the new one might not need me.

I don't know where I saw this, but I remember reading one time that women over 250 pounds can expect to have a harder time finding jobs and to be paid less.  I'm not quite at the 250-pound mark, but I'm close enough to worry about it.  I don't know why that's the magic number making employment more difficult, but it's no secret that weight discrimination is a real thing.

In case we needed ANOTHER reason to lose weight, this is it.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I have read that. Also women over a certain which includes me. I retired a few years back, but my small pension and social security is just not cutting it. But let's face it. I'm 71 years old and even though I have tons of experience, no one wants me. (Sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never read that tidbit, but I’ve long thought that my weight has held me back! And your right...just another reason to lose!

    So...down to the nifty gritty....have you stopped the stress eating??????

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you get to keep your job. That is a very stressful situation.

    I think you should trade stress eating for stress-relieving walks. Easier said than done, but I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lot of stress to deal with. You are smart to brush up your resume and see what else is out there, just in case.

    ReplyDelete