Wednesday, January 13, 2016

In Observation of Skinny People

I stare at skinny people because I'm creepy and can't help it. Well, maybe I don't really STARE, but I observe them, you know? I observe them the same way we observe rich and famous people. Only these are regular skinny friends at work and not someone with a million instagram followers and a nanny for their children.

There are two skinny friends that I'm pretty close to at work.  Neither one of them has ever had a weight problem and they are both fairly active people. They hike, bike and run around town.  They're both in their late 30s, early 40s and occasionally sign up for half marathons and spend months training for them.

Friend A is very adventurous and went zip lining for her Christmas getaway.  She kayaks all summer long and has a gym membership.  She's the type to only bring fruit and cottage cheese to eat for an 8-hour shift, but won't pass up free cake or donuts. She says she feels guilty after eating a "bad" meal, but I don't know what she defines as bad. 

Friend B is a light smoker and will eat 2 McDonalds cheeseburgers for lunch (the regular ones that come in kids meals). She says she doesn't feel guilty about what she eats, but feels bad when she goes a long time between getting in a long run. She reminisces about when she was really fit in her 20s even though she is in great shape now.

I notice that they're both slow eaters and don't make meals a priority-- at least not at work.  Like I make it a point to sit down and eat while they might grab bites here and there.  Also, they both are light social drinkers.

The reason I made a point to observe their behavior and relationship with food and exercise is because I have this idea that if I mimic their behavior I'll miraculously lose weight and be like my skinny friends. Honestly though, I'm probably just jealous of them for being healthy weights and living active lifestyles.

1 comment:

  1. I have SOOOOO done that. I covertly pay attention to my thin friends to watch the behaviors that they display toward food and exercise. It really is eye opening! My biggest revelation was a bunch of years ago a size 0 coworker...she would come in and eat cheesecake and nibble on candy all day. Finally I realized that she would come in and eat ONE or two BITES of cheesecake and then declare herself done for the day. Me...I'd eat the whole dang cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete